The UnFormal 2019
The Formal does indeed still exist as an annual event, though our larger and more expensive gatherings – those that reflect the original tradition – are now held to celebrate an anniversary benchmark every five years. Our next big Formal bash will be a toast to 45 years in 2023. Until then, join us at the UnFormal, our cheaper, cozier, bar/restaurant approach to honoring the slower years in between. Last winter we met for our 41st at Marshall’s, a Grandview dive, and we dined on spaghetti and meatballs and celebrated Coach Andy’s birthday with a nice slab of frosted marble cake – all while raising $675 for the team. The event at a glance:
- Ticket Sales & Donations: $1,925 each
- Food & Beverage Cost: $775
- DJ & Decorations Cost: $475
And we also got to hear a little more about what’s happening within our community:
- BRAA President, Brandon Buyaki, shared an update on the fundraising efforts of the BRAA and asked that we make an effort to cast a wider net, reaching out to alumni and supporters who may not be in the database.
- Rachel Bushman talked about the newly established Ohio Rowing Association and their goal of guiding the team towards long term success.
- Current team president, Jake Bridges, recognized the community for their support of the program and shared his excitement for a team with a new found resilience under Head Coach Andy Wimmer.
- Coach Andy shared his observations of a team that's ready to compete with any boat this spring and asked that the alumni support them along the way.
We look forward to seeing everyone again next year.